Results

search

Custom Search

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Loreena McKennitt

My day consisted of editing, rewriting, and formatting. I turned Four Broads and an Irish Wake into a book. Well a self published one. I am printing copies as my Christmas letter/gift for my family. After printing and reviewing four copies that were called “FINAL,” I think it’s done. 
The last step was to type: “Copyright © 2013 by Pamela Pimental. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America.  No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever…” As I typed I realized that I had part of Loreena McKennitt’s Dante’s Prayer in the story. Not that this is going to be a best seller or even circulated but if I am trying to protect my intellectual property should I ask permission to use hers? 
So I googled “Loreena McKennitt” and “permission.” Her record company in Canada popped up along with an email address for intellectual property. Let me say that again. In seconds I had contact with an international star’s business manager. I find this exhilarating. An age of instant information makes my heart sing.
Years ago, I wrote a book Rosanne and Me. As a period piece in the fifties, I scrounged around libraries and used book stores to find prices, name brands, styles, and the like to keep the story authentic. It was a monumental task. Now Google or Bing or Ask, information is yours.

Now I wait to see how fast Ms. McKennitt’s business department returns emails. I bet it is faster than snail mail or fax. Yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is welcome.